Learn More About Manufacturing
Modern-day manufacturing is a fast-paced, high-tech industry that is responsible for making everything—from must-have products used in our everyday lives to breakthrough technologies like lasers and photonics. It’s a growing industry in Central Florida and local manufacturers are hiring for a variety of well-paying positions.
Types of Manufacturing
There is a wide range of goods manufactured right here in Florida.
- Aerospace components
- Electronics and technical instruments
- Food and beverage
- Household goods
- Industrial and construction components
- Medical devices and instruments
- Metals and plastics
- There are over 12,000 manufacturing companies in Florida that employ more than 331,000 workers.
- Manufacturing employees represent 4 percent of the state’s workforce.
- Manufacturing is the 5th largest employer in the U.S.
- Manufactured goods represent 92 percent of all Florida exports.
- In 2014, Florida exported $20 billion of manufactured goods to Free Trade Agreement partner countries.
- In 2014, manufacturers in the United States sold $55 billion more in manufactured goods to our Free Trade Agreement partners than we bought from them.
- For every $1.00 spent in manufacturing, another $1.37 is added to the economy, the highest multiplier effect of any economic sector.
- Florida’s total output from manufacturing was $39.62 billion in 2013.
- Manufacturing firms perform more than three-quarters of private-sector research and development in the U.S., driving more innovation than any other sector.
- Florida’s manufacturing industries are diverse, and include companies in traditional manufacturing industries, such as electronics, plastics, food processing and printing, as well as those engaged in breakthrough technologies like laser and photonics, medical devices and aviation/aerospace.
Manufacturers Association of Florida
MAF is an advocacy association organized to improve the business climate for manufacturers in Florida. Their website has the latest industry news.
Made in Florida
The Made in Florida website provides information and resources to learn more about manufacturing and explore it as a career choice.
Fast Facts Sources: U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis; U.S. Census Bureau; National Economic Accounts by Industry (2013); International Trade Administration; Federal Reserve Economic Data; National www.nist.gov/mep Science Foundation, Bureau of Labor Statistics; Export.Gov
Learn About Manufacturing
Everything You Touch is Made
Women in Manufacturing
Careers in Manufacturing
The field of advanced manufacturing is extremely diverse. There is a wide range of job specializations to choose from, all of which offer a life-long career path with many opportunities for advancement.
There are currently more than 5,000 job openings for manufacturing workers, according to the Manufacturers Association of Florida. Employers are heavily recruiting skilled workers to fill open positions.